Mixed Media Sculpture
Susanne Nielsen grew up internationally in Germany, France, the US, Iceland and holds graduate degrees in Painting ( M.F.A.) ,and English (M.A. ESL and Literature).She teaches humanities and art history and maintains a studio in Tampa, Florida. She has won Best of Show and first prizes for her sculptures, paintings, fiber and mixed media works.
Her works are featured in corporate and private collections in the US and Europe.
Susanne Nielsen's work is about Patterns and Textures of Life. Women's lives in the world's many and magnificent varieties of cultures, form an intricate and diverse woven fabric which she expresses in a mixture of two and three dimensional works. Nielsen combines her training as painter and sculptor with traditional feminine areas of craft, from sewing to embroidery, from weaving to quilting, in color combinations that speak of warmth and joy, of nurturing, of creating a nest. Works may be soft and yet fortified, restricted yet bursting outward with color and passion. Nielsen creates intimate pieces, framed to be individually perceived and collectively shown, as a family , a culture, surrounding the viewer. In her recent travels to Bangladesh and China and in her college teaching of international cultural history , Susanne Nielsen seeks to portray the essence of her experience in lectures and works that range from her own international continued migration experience to the lives of others worldwide. She continues to learn from others in her work with international cultural and vocational adult and youth exchange programs.Susanne Nielsen are shown internationally, regionally and locally :
- Galerie Wort-Art, Wiesbaden, Germany - solo exhibit
- German Consulate General, Miami - solo exhibit
- Largo Library Gallery, Largo, FL - solo exhibit
- Florida International Museum - Sew it's Art
- Leepa Rattner Museum of Art - PAVA exhibition
- Greenville Museum of Art, Greenville, NC - Paul Hartley Legacy exhibit
- Florida Gulf Coast Art Center - group exhibit
- University of Tampa - group exhibit
- Mayfaire By The Lake
- Raymond James Gasparilla Festival of Art
- Lee Hansley Gallery - Raleigh,NC
- USF Centre Gallery - group exhibit
Contact Susanne 813-254-5088.